But I first wanted to say to anyone reading this that I don't have what I see as typical reasons for attempting a VBAC. I don't want "the dream birth I've always wanted" and don't feel cheated at all that I had a Cesarean with Carson. In fact, we had no problems bonding or breast feeding and there was definitely no lack of oxytocin post-partum:) I see the birthing process as a means to an end, more than an end in and of itself. I truly just care about the labor process and VBAC for health reasons. The one medical fact that pushed me in this direction is that it is healthier in the long run and will better enable us to have as many kids as the Lord allows.
I recently watched The Business of Being Born and loved it. I cried of course, and really agreed with everything they said except one thing at the end: that a cesarean interrupts the natural bonding process in mammals (and thereby humans, in their logic) and threatens the mother-child bond in a big way. Like I said above, I had no problem being totally overwhelmed with feelings of love and protection for my little guy. Even in recovery all I wanted to do was hold him! ...while pestering the nurse for pain meds cuz they took the epi out and OUCH. Maybe women who are knocked out completely have a harder time bonding. I wouldn't know!
Other than not regretting my cesarean except that it was unnecessary, and watching the documentary, I've also hired a doula and am about to meet her today! Her name is Jami and I'm floored to have her help. Doulas increase the chances of having a successful VBAC by 40%, and considering that about 60-80% of women who do a TOLAC actually succeed, I'd say having Jami to help would make me more like an 80% chance of success.
My main reason for hiring a doula is because of what I've learned about the labor process and how the interventions that I allowed to take place during my induction with Carson led to my Cesarean. Not only will a doula help you stick to your birth plan, but she will help you go through contractions without pain meds. And it took me a loonngg time and lots of my own research to even fudge on the epidural. But once I discovered that part of helping the baby get in the right position is moving around and not being bound to a bed (Carson wasn't descending from what I remember). So if I'm not having the epi and bound to a bed, I'm probably going nuts screaming over the pain I'm feeling! Also, Jami mentioned that it's better to place the epi later.
The biggest deal with all of this for me is that in order for me to avoid having major abdominal surgery unnecessarily, I have to fight for it. I have to do my own research, find support, and be most likely willing to tell a doctor, a highly trained professional, that I don't agree with their wishes for my body. To tell a Dr for example that I am unwilling to be induced before a certain time, or be induced by AROM (breaking water). In some cases, women have to actually fight against a Dr being very pushy for them to give up the trial of labor and just schedule a section. But I hate confrontation like this and avoid it like the plague. And I used to just go along with whatever the Dr said because it was law. But part of this is a return to the truth that Drs are medical advisors. They do not have the final say what happens to me or my baby! Even in emergencies, the Dr has to have permission from David to cut me open!
Maybe I'll write more after I meet up with Jami!

cute photo! peek!
ReplyDelete