Friday, August 10, 2012

updates and thoughts

Well, I think we are much more settled in our new home and neighborhood. We fit in better in a town than a city. But I have been busier than ever, and never has it been more obvious to me that one of the last things on my priority list is being on facebook, watching netflix or on this blog.

At a SAHM I've been spending my time in many ways. The last few days I have been constantly monitoring Carson, because he learned to crawl on August 7th, a week from turning 8 months. In addition to that, my obvious priority as a mom is my relationships with David and Carson. I have also been racing to finish editing a Korean seminary student's papers. She writes them before the semester, and sends them to me. It is very time-consuming, but it is my part-time job right now. I have been cooking a ton, and we rarely eat out now. Our new gas stove is wonderful! It's a big treat to have a new appliance.

Basil


My newest and most refreshing hobby is yard work. I love being outdoors. I wait until Carson's nap, and use the monitor to go out and weed or plant. I do a lot of laundry. Also this summer we have had many family visitors, or have gone to see them. I have many more chores now that we have a house. I love keeping up with friends too.

Carson and great-grandpa


My reading this summer has been great. Lineage of Grace by Francine Rivers, The Bible, Little Women (again), and Liberating Ministry from the Success Syndrome by Kent and Barbara Hughes. I discovered the last book in an SWI class over a year ago, and it has been an enormous encouragement. Also, it's about time to re-read Pride and Prejudice. That has been my favorite for over ten years.

When we have time to relax, we watch Warehouse 13 because we are nerdy. Also Top Shot, Yo Gabba Gabba (Carson's fav), and some movies. I saw Vanity Fair and hated it. What I really hate is that genre of movie or book. I know they are making a point, but the way they make it is not entertaining in a wholesome or comforting, hahaha!

In order to keep my priorities straight, I have avoided getting into the Chick-fil-A controversy. I can get passionate about things like that, but from the outside it looks like a bunch of name-calling and victimizing on both sides. I think Satan uses the culture wars as a huge distraction from spreading the good news about Jesus, especially to people my age.

Also, for a long time now I have been wanting to leave facebook. I can't bring myself to do it because of keeping in touch with precious friends from Moody and/or overseas, or friends long distance or being seeing pictures of their lives and kids. I know however that my view of reality might be a little more accurate without facebook tempting me when I feel lonely. I won't have to worry about the effects of what I post will have on 587 different people, most of whom don't care to read what I post. Besides, I got along the first 20 years of my life without facebook just fine! Now I almost feel like I can't live without it, and I feel uneasy about that.







No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?