As a junior high girl I remember walking the the end of the block in my nice upper-middle-class neighborhood to catch the bus to school. We (the neighbors I had known for most of my life) would hang out there for a few minutes, usually standing in awkward silence, but sometimes talking. I remember getting dressed up for school spirit days, or dragging my heavy backpack or old flute case along with me. Those were good times and very formative years. I had almost no responsibilities and spent a lot of time with my friends.
The other morning I was walking down our front steps to the car and putting Carson in his carseat to go to Meijer and get a few groceries. I looked up over the roof of our little Kia and there was a group of 4 or 5 junior highers waiting for the bus. We have a corner lot, so they wait right on the edge of our yard. It was early in the morning, and they were standing there in awkward silence.
It just hit me. About 13 years ago, that was me! Weird.
I've had that exact same moment! Very weird...10 years sure did go by quickly...
ReplyDeleteEven weirder...walking through a college campus. I can only imagine what those 18 somethings thought of me scooting along my 4 children...well actually I do know..."look at that older lady with all the kids" YIPES!